This salad combines kale, which is rich in magnesium, iron and B vitamins, with slow releasing carbohydrates and antioxidant rich tomatoes to keep your digestion, energy levels – and you – running smoothly.
Serves 1 / easy
- 1 large handful of kale, chopped, tough stalks removed
- 60g (21⁄4oz) dry quinoa or brown basmati rice, cooked according to packet instructions
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1 handful of pumpkin, sesame and sunflower seeds
- 1 handful of fresh herbs, such as basil, parsley
- 4 cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- 2–3 teaspoons miso paste
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1⁄2 lemon
How to make it
Lightly cook the kale in a steamer over a saucepan of gently simmering water until tender.
While the kale is steaming lightly toast the seeds for a few minutes in a dry pan or under the grill.
Drain the kale and place in a large bowl with the cooked quinoa or rice, the carrot, seeds and herbs.
Place the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together, thinning with a little water to get the desired consistency. Pour over the salad ingredients and toss well to mix. Serve the salad topped with the sliced tomatoes.